Women do want to break through the glass ceiling and sit on company boards and lead corporations. But to achieve this, more active support from senior executives and guidance for younger women in the work force is needed, writes Janine Garner, a successful entrepreneur and author of the new book From ME to WE. A second piece of advice comes from executive coach Angela Heise who wants women to go against convention as well as network and work together.
Do you feel you’re not being true to yourself? We walk you through how to uncover and embrace your genuine self.
The word “authenticity” is used in various contexts. In conjunction with art, for example, it means the work is original and not a fake or replica. When it comes to people, authenticity is defined as being true to yourself, your personality or character. You have a sense of what this means and can usually spot someone who has pretensions to be someone they are not. Authenticity builds trust, faking it doesn’t.
If you’re like 80 per cent of the population, there is a good chance you’ve already given up on the intentions you enthusiastically set yourself at the beginning of the year. All but a mere 20 per cent of people usually abandon their resolve by February.
Even small changes can make a big difference.
Quitting your job to travel the world sounds tempting. But for many, it’s more about escape than the experience.
You get up in the morning, choose appropriate clothes for the day, decide on what to eat for breakfast, and pick a coffee from the extensive barista menu on the way to work. Then you check your emails, answer the one that demands your attention, and prioritise the tasks on your to-do list.